WKSU STAFF HONORED BY OHIO PROFESSIONAL WRITERS, INC.
Thursday June 4, 2009
WKSU was recognized with 11 awards from Ohio Professional Writers, Inc. (OPW), the state affiliate of the National Federation of Press Women (NFPW). The prizes were presented May 16 at WKSU’s broadcast center in Kent during the organization’s annual spring conference. WKSU Host/Reporter and OPW President Vivian Goodman hosted the event. All winners of first-place awards from OPW are automatically entered into the national Communications Contest sponsored by NFPW.
First place awards went to:
Radio Broadcast Categories:
• Prepared Report, Reporter/Host Vivian Goodman for “40th Anniversary of the Glenville Riots”
• Special Reporting Series, the WKSU newsroom for “NEO Development: Rebuilding Northeast Ohio”
• Interview, Goodman for “Louis Stokes”
• Presentation, Goodman for “All Things Considered”
• Entertainment Podcast, Folk Alley Director of Production and Operations Chris Boros for “The AlleyCast”
Marketing/Public Information Categories:
• Online Newsletters, Marketing Associate Ann VerWiebe for “WKSU E-Notes”
• Single-Sheet Poster, Public Relations Director Bob Burford for “42nd Kent State Folk Festival”
• Four-Color Brochure, VerWiebe for “Folk Alley Anniversary Brochure”
Other awards were presented to:
• Prepared Report, Reporter/Host Jeff St. Clair for “Insect Orchestra”
• Prepared Report, Reporter/Host Amanda Rabinowitz for “YouTube Politics”
• Four-Color Brochure, Burford and Marcus Thomas LLC for “42nd Kent State Folk Festival Program Guide”
National Federation of Press Women is a dynamic nationwide organization of professional women and men pursuing careers across the communications spectrum. The annual Communications Contest awards prizes in 78 separate categories in divisions focusing on print and broadcast media, advertising and public relations, business writing, creative work and more.
WKSU broadcasts NPR & Classical Music at 89.7 FM, and is a service of Kent State University. WKSU programming is also heard on WKRW 89.3 FM in Wooster, WKRJ 91.5 FM in Dover/New Philadelphia, WKSV 89.1 FM in Thompson, WNRK 90.7 in Norwalk, W298BA 107.5 FM in Boardman, and W239AZ 95.7 FM in Ashland. The station broadcasts HD Radio on 89.7 and 90.7. The WKSU web site is www.wksu.org.
PR09.08 ### 6/4/09
(Back to press releases