Make a donation to WKSU before 7 p.m. on Sept. 20 and you will automatically be entered into a drawing for an all-inclusive art lover's tour of Washington, D.C.! The trip offers a private tour of the U.S. Capitol, airfare for two, a three-night stay at the Fairmont Washington D.C. and a tour of NPR headquarters! See WKSU fund drive drawing rules HERE.
This Experience Includes:
• 3-hour private guided tour of the art works at The Capitol and surrounding buildings
• $150 towards dining at Art and Soul Restaurant
• 3-night stay in a standard Fairmont room at the Fairmont Washington DC
• An exclusive tour of NPR headquarters, including the studios for national shows like "Morning Edition" and "All Things Considered"
• Daily breakfast for 2
• Round-trip coach class airfare for 2 from within the 48 contiguous U.S. to Washington, DC
• Winspire booking & concierge service
Private Art Lover's Tour of the U.S. Capitol "The Most Famous Building in the World"
You and a guest will enjoy a private tour of the art works at The Capitol with the Chief Guide of the U.S. Capitol Historical Society. Beyond the public’s standard experience, your unique experience will be guided by historian Steve Livengood. He has spent more than 40 years studying not only the Congress and its activities, and the famous people who have served there, but also becoming an expert on the artwork.
You will be able to enjoy:
• The sculptures of the Statuary Hall collection representing each State
• The Rotunda paintings and sculpture with a description of the iconography and evolution of the collection
• The new $600 million Capitol Visitor Center with the newest bronze and marble sculptures
• The restricted Senate corridors where refugee artist Constantino Brumidi sought to glorify “the one country on Earth where there is liberty”, and the 20+ year conservation of those works still in progress
• Close examination of the plaster original of the sculpture atop The Capitol, where American sculptor Thomas Crawford represented Freedom Triumphant in War and Peace and its iconic role before the Civil War
• Historic portraits and busts of Washington, Lafayette, Lincoln and other iconic figures
• The 1970-90s corridors of New York muralists Allyn Cox and Jeff Greene in the corridors beneath the House of Representatives Chamber
• Works of Italian artists brought to Washington to create world-class decoration in the original building
• Epic paintings of Western settlement, great battles, and crucial moments such as The Declaration of Independence in the Rotunda and The Signing of the Constitution in the Grand Staircase next to the House Chamber
• Visit the Houses of Congress
• View famous historic spots: the Old Senate and Old Supreme Court Chambers, and the Crypt
• Visit your Congressional Representative's and Senators' Capitol Hill offices
• Visit the fabulous Library of Congress
• Discuss history with a knowledgeable and engaging historian
Enjoy $150 towards dining at Art and Soul Restaurant, located in The Liaison Capitol Hill hotel, just steps away from Union Station and the U.S. Capitol. Art and Soul exudes true Southern warmth and hospitality and serves simple, honest food. The seasonal menu of responsibly-sourced dishes – along with unique wine and beer menus and innovative cocktails has earned the restaurant multiple accolades since its opening in 2008.
Enjoy lunch, dinner or one of the best brunches in town! In warmer weather, an expansive front patio provides an al fresco dining option and a fire-pit with a magnificent view of the Capitol.
Fairmont Washington D.C.:
Enjoy a 3-night stay in a standard Fairmont room including daily breakfast for two at this AAA 4-Diamond property located in Washington’s fashionable West End and adjacent to historic Georgetown. The Fairmont Washington, DC, Georgetown is considered one of the premier luxury hotels in Washington, offering unsurpassed service and amenities for discerning travelers. At 17,000 square feet, the mezzanine-level health club is one of the city's largest and most comprehensive, featuring a 45-foot lap pool and squash and racquetball courts, as well as a whirlpool, sauna, aerobics rooms, exercise bikes, treadmills and fitness stations with headphones and TVs.
This package includes round-trip coach class service for two from any major metropolitan airport in the 48 contiguous United States to Washington, DC, subject to availability.
Airfare must be booked within one year from the date of purchase. Airfare taxes and a $25 per person processing fee are the responsibility of the purchaser. Blackout dates: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s weeks.
Business and First Class upgrades are available at the time of booking for an additional fee. Use of frequent flyer miles for upgrades is dependent on specific ticket restrictions as determined by the airline’s frequent flyer program.
Winspire Booking & Concierge Service:
Winspire provides a team of seasoned travel professionals who will help you redeem your experience. All travel related details and reservations are handled for every part of your Winspire experience. Operating as a full-service travel agency, Winspire can assist with extra hotel nights, airfare upgrades, and additional guests. This service also provides you with an established network of onsite contacts who can help you book additional experiences, activities and tours.
Must be booked a minimum of 60 days in advance. Reservations are subject to availability and hotel may be substituted for comparable or better property. Certificates cannot be replaced if lost, stolen or destroyed. All purchases are non-refundable. Packages cannot be resold. Ground transportation is not included unless where specified.